The Murphy Historical Society are guardians to three of the four cemeteries located in Murphy,TX. This includes mowing, edging, tree trimming, cleaning headstones and maintenance of headstones. This requires about 10,000/year. Our money comes from grants and fundraising.
The Maxwell Cemetery, now known as the Decatur/Maxwell/Murphy Cemetery is the oldest and largest cemetery in Murphy. Samuel McCreary was the first grave in 1853. The cemetery is maintained by the Murphy Historical Society.
Herring-Hogge Cemetery on South Murphy Road and Skyline Drive is the smallest cemetery in Murphy. It is located on land once owned by Daniel Herring who came to the community in 1848.
The cemetery, often called Moulden, was located on William Murphy’s farm and was less than one-half acre with about 30 graves. The daughters of William and Dorothy Murphy planted red cedars throughout the cemetery which is bordered by Maxwell Creek.
William Murphy set aside land in 1872 when his sister, Susan Emberton died. He decreed his sons and their family be buried on the north side of the cemetery and the daughters and their families on the south side. Most of the sons moved west, and eventually others outside of the family were buried in the cemetery. Several Civil War soldiers were buried there. The last burial was Ruby Sorrells in 1988.